Friday, November 12, 2010

Discussion Question #22: Post Two

For my second discussion post of the week, I'm focusing on "reasoning by criteria". Out of each type of reasoning listed on the professor's blog, I believe this is the one that confused me quite a bit at first. I really can't find much information online besides the link the professor provided. After searching around and viewing multiple examples, I came to a much better understanding of the concept. "Criteria reasoning" basically means that whatever argument or statement we come across, we must define whatever criteria within it to be able to make some form of "right/wrong" judgement. One of the websites I researched talked about how most criteria uses many common morals/values to make it easier to accept certain criteria with minimal questioning, along with future legitimacy in any other argument.

From this website, http://changingminds.org/disciplines/argument/types_reasoning/criteria.htm, we can see where the judgement of "right" and "wrong" based on common values come from. Those three examples give us two versions (one right and one wrong) of each statement to help further understand the concept.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Thanks for taking the time to research reasoning by criteria until there was a clear explanation to be presented and discusses because I also felt that this concept was quite confusing and fuzzy in my understanding of it.

    In the link provided, the three examples that give two versions that showed one right and one wrong really did improve my understanding of the concept just as you mentioned. This example drew in my attention especially because it reminds me of some of the shopping experiences I have encountered:

    Say This: I guess your wife will want something good-looking. How about this one?

    Not This: This is the right one for you!

    ReplyDelete